Coronaviruses is a kind of viruses that gives you colds and makes you cough and sneeze a lot. It causes an infection in your nose, sinuses, or upper throat. Most of the time Coronavirus infection are not dangerous. But occasionally, a new version pops up and infects people and causes serious illness and even deaths like the Novel Coronavirus, SARS and MERS.
The new Coronaviruses you see on the news today that originated from Wuhan China is one of the dangerous type since at this moment it has already killed 56 people in China, with nearly 2,000 reported cases, according to Chinese officials. The severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) that happened in 2003 and 2004 infected about 8,096 people in 29 countries and 774 died. Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) which is very deadly, first appeared in Saudi Arabia in 2012 infected 2,494 individuals in 27 countries and killed 858 people.
Coronaviruses came from wild animals that leaps to humans. SARS is believed to came from palm civets, while MERS originated from bats then to camels before transfering to humans. A new study from the Journal of Medical Virology shows that the Novel coronavirus may have come from bats but was transferred to humans by snakes.
How to protect yourself from Novel Coronavirus* There are no vaccines available to protect you against human coronavirus infection.
1. Wash your hands thoroughly and often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
2. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with your hands.
3. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
How to protect others from Novel Coronavirus*If you have a cold-like symtoms and don't want to pass it to others.
1. Stay in your room while you are sick.
2. Avoid close contact with others.
3. Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands.
4. Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces.
How to treat a coronavirus infection? treat it the same way as you treat a cold:
1. Drink a lot of water or fluids.
2. Get plenty of rest.
3. Take over-the-counter medicine for sore throat and fever (but don't give aspirin to children or teens younger than 19; use ibuprofen or acetaminophen instead).
Kirkland Signature Extra Strength Rapid Release Pain Reliever Acetaminophen 500 MG 400 rapid release gelcaps Bottle $18.90
4. Use a room humidifier or take a hot shower to help ease a sore throat and cough
Cool Mist Humidifier $29.97
5. Take Apple Cider Vinegar - add two tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water to alkalinize the body. When your body has an alkaline environment bacteria and viruses won't able to survive. Start drinking it the moment you feel sick and repeat several times a day until the symptoms subside.
Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar 32 Fl Oz $13.78
6. Nasal Wash - if your sinus is clogged excess mucous will not be able to pass-through and it can lead to a bacteria buildup, swelling and stuffiness. You need to rinse your nasal passages with filtered water to loosen phlegm, pollutants and bacteria.
NeilMed Sinus Rinse - A Complete Sinus Nasal Rinse Kit $10.44