1. Fish that are high in omega-3 fatty acids
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential nutrients that can help lower the symptoms of depression, schizophrenia, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and other mental disorders.
According to this journal increasing dietary intake of omega-3 fatty acids can be effective for both the prevention and treatment of depression. Another study published by the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry shows a significant antidepressant properties of omega-3 PUFA.
This study from "Drugs" shows the therapeutic benefit of omega-3 fatty acids in patients with psychiatric disorders.
A study posted by The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition said that some children with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) had significantly lower concentrations of key fatty acids in their blood.
A research published by the Nature Reviews Neurology suggests that omega-3s may help protect against Alzheimer's disease and dementia, and may help slow down memory loss linked to aging.
What fish are high in omega 3?
9. Orange roughy
11. Lake trout
Nature's Bounty Fish Oil 1200 mg Omega-3 $12.88
2. Whole Grains - Food that are 100% whole grains are a key component of any nutritious diet and consuming more healthy whole grains like whole wheat, brown rice, bulgur, oats, and quinoa can reduce inflammation of the brain, that can avoid memory loss. According to this article whole grains is an anti-inflammatory food.
Organic Oat Groats, 25 Pounds — 100% Whole Grain
3. Fruits and vegetables rich in folic acid - Lack of folate in the body can be linked to higher rates of depression, fatigue, and insomnia. Vegetables that are rich in folic acid are beets, lentils, spinach, romaine, mustard greens, broccoli and turnip. A study posted by the Frontiers in Psychology said that eating a lot of fruits and vegetables can improve mental health.
Nutricost Folic Acid (Vitamin B9) 1000 mcg, 240 Capsules
4. Protein - The brain and its long spidery neurons are made of fat, but they communicate with each other through proteins that we eat. These neurotransmitters also allow different parts of the nervous system to communicate effectively with each other and the rest of the body. Foods that are high in protein include eggs, almonds, chicken breast, oats, cottage cheese, lean beef, tuna, and quinoa. According to this study protein is critical for brain maturation.
Premier Protein 30g Protein Shake, Chocolate, 11.5 Fl Oz, Pack of 12 $19.99
5. Probiotics - foods that are rich in probiotics can reduce anxiety and stress hormones and affect the neurotransmitter GABA according to scientific studies. A study published by the Nutrition Research shows that probiotic supplementation can positively affect anxiety and depressive symptoms.
Probiotics are usually good bacteria. foods that are high in probiotics are yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, tempeh, kimchi, miso, kombucha, pickles, traditional buttermilk, natto, and some cheese like gouda, mozzarella, cheddar and cottage cheese.
NewRhythm Probiotics 50 Billion CFU 20 Strains, 60 Veggie Capsules $16.99
With our busy lifestyles today and the flood of easy to get processed foods have dramatically change our diet from that of our ancestors. And our modern diet today is not good and we're passing it to our future generation since what we are eating today can also affect our children and grandchildren. We need to change our lifestyle and eat nutritious food for our future generation.