Weight loss pills, drugs and natural supplements can curb appetite by making you feel full so that you won't over eat. It can inhibit absorption of fat. Or, it can speed up fat burning that makes you burn more calories.
If you will take diet supplements to compliment healthy diet and physical activities it will definitely increase the chances and will speed up weight loss. According to a 2016 study published by the Journal of the American Medical Association, the likelihood of losing unwanted weight when taking weight-loss drugs and supplements increases when the person improves their lifestyle.
Some of these diet supplements may pose a potential health risks. You need to do your research first before trying diet supplements. You can also talk with your doctor first before you try any specially if you have medical conditions like Diabetes.
Here are Common Diet Pills and Supplements:
1. Bitter Orange (Synephrine) - it's from southeast Asia and is commonly used in herbal medicine as a stimulant and appetite suppressant because it contains an alkaloid known as synephrine. Synephrine is structurally similar to ephedrine which is a very well-known weight loss ingredient that has been banned due to the health risk. Synephrine just like ephedrine can curb appetite and increase the burning of fat by your body but it's less potent. A study posted on the International Journal of Medical Sciences say that synephrine can burn fat. Bitter orange supplements may have serious side effects.
3. Garcinia Cambogia Extract - Dr. Oz made this weight loss supplement famous when he featured it back in 2012. It is a fruit that is also called Malabar tamarind. It is said to block your body's ability to make fat. It is also believe to be an appetite suppresant because it increase levels of serotonin in your body. The active ingredient in Garcinia Cambogia is hydroxycitric acid (HCA) which block the fat producing enzyme called "citrate lyase". HCA also increase the levels of the brain chemical called serotonin which suppresses your hunger.
According to a study published on Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry using rats as subjects, they found that Garcinia Cambogia were able to impede fat-producing enzyme present in the body and increase levels of serotonin.
4. Green Coffee Bean Extract - these are extract from an ordinary coffee beans that has not been roasted. Green coffee extract is a very popular ingredient for weight-loss supplement. Two active ingredients of Green Coffee Bean Extract namely caffeine and chlorogenic acid are believe to help in weight loss. Caffeine helps the body burns more fat while chlorogenic acid slows down the breakdown of carbohydrates in the gut.
A 12-week study posted on the Journal of International Medical Research shows that consuming chlorogenic acid enriched coffee were able to significantly reduce the absorption of glucose and it may result in reduced body mass and body fat. A Gastroenterology Research and Practice study also concluded that Green Coffee Bean Extract can promote weight loss.
5. Green Tea Extract - is made from dried green tea leaves from Camellia sinensis plant. It contains caffeine and plant compounds called catechins, which includes epigallocatechins-3-gallate (EGCG). Catechins is a very good antioxidant. According to this research published by Physiology & Behavior. Green tea has an effective fat burning properties. Another clinical study concluded that green tea can reduce body weight in obese individuals by increasing energy expenditure and fat oxidation.
6. Hydroxycut - is a weight loss supplement brand that is very popular in the market. The formula contains several ingredients that is said to help with weight loss, including
caffeine, Lady's mantle extract (Alchemilla vulgaris), Wild olive extract (Olea europaea), Cumin extract (Cuminum cyminum), Wild mint extract (Mentha longifolia) and Green coffee bean extract (Coffea canephora robusta). On their website they provided two clinical studies. The first study said that the subjects took C. canephora robusta for two months and were able to shed an average of 10.95 lbs. against those who took placebo, which lost an average of 5.40 lbs. Both groups were given a low-calorie diet. Another study what went for eight weeks shows that subjects who took C. canephora robusta lost about 3.7 pounds against the subjects who were in placebo, they lost 1.25 pounds.
7. Orlistat (Alli) - is an over-the-counter drug designed to treat obesity. This medicine works by blocking the enzyme that breaks down fats in your diet. The fat that was not digested will be remove from your body in your bowel movement. Orlistat is not designed to
block the absorption of calories from sugar and other non-fat foods, so you still need to restrict your total intake of calories. According to this study subjects who took orlistat lost 6 pounds compared to those who took placebo.
8. Raspberry Ketones - it is a chemical compound found in red raspberries, cranberries, blackberries, kiwifruit, peaches, grapes, and apples. It is a popular weight loss ingredient.
There's a study published on Life Sciences journal in which it has found that raspberry ketone were able to prevent weight gain in the liver and belly fat in rodents.
Another research posted by Planta Medica found that raspberry ketone increased the secretion of a protein hormone called "adiponectin" which is involved in regulating glucose levels as well as fatty acid breakdown. Adiponectin deficiency in the body are more common among those who are obese and those with type 2 diabetes. Low levels of adiponectin also leads to female reduced fertility and ovaria dysfunctions according to this study.
9. Glucomannan - it is a dietary fiber that is found from the root of the konjac plant or elephant yam. It is use for diabetes, constipation, high cholesterol, hyperthyroidism, high blood pressure and weight loss. It is said that it absorbs a lot of water and turns into bulky fiber. It stays in your gut for quite a while that gives you a sense of fullness and curbs your appetite which in turn will cause to lessen your calorie intake.
According to a study on The Journal of Nutrition, dietary fiber like glucomannan helps with weight loss since it prolongs the feeling of fulness. Another study published by Medical Science Monitor said taking glucomannan while practicing healthy diet and exercise can help you lose 8-10 pounds in five weeks.
10. Meratrim - it is formulated with two plant extracts that changes the metabolism of fat cells. The two herbs are flower heads from Sphaeranthus indicus and fruit rinds of Garcinia mangostana. The supplement is manufactured and marketed by InterHealth Nutraceuticals.
|East Indian Thistle|
Sphaeranthus Indicus is extracted from a herb called East Indian Thistle or Gorakhmundi. Aside from its weight loss properties the herb is also use for antibacterial, antiviral, analgesic, anxiolytic, and to speed up wound healing.
Garcinia mangostana, on the other hand, is a fruit from a Southeast Asia Purple Mangosteen tree. It also has other benefits aside from weight loss like antimicrobial and antioxidant. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study posted by the Lipids in Health and Disease on the efficacy of Meratrim shows a signigicant weight loss on the patients compared to those who receive placebo. There were 60 participants, one group took 400 mg of Meratrim and placebo for the other group two times everyday for 16 weeks. All of them follow a diet of 2,000 kcal/day throughout the study period and they have to walk for thirty (30) minutes 5 days a week. Those who took Meratrim lose 11.2 pounds, waist by 3.9 inches, and hip size by 2.0 inches.
11. Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) - it is a fatty acid found naturally in the meat and dairy products like cheese and butter. CLA is a popular weighloss supplement since proponents believes that it has health benefits like reducing appetite, boost metabolism and stimulate the breakdown of body fat as stated on these studies from Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry and Obesity Research.
A journal published by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition in which 18 studies were reviewed shows that CLA were able to produce modest loss in body fat in humans.
12. Forskolin - is found in the root of an Indian Coleus plant known as Coleus forskohlii (from a mint family) that is use as traditional medicine specifically for asthma. The extract is said to be very effective for weight loss. A study published on Obesity Research concludes that Forskolin can help decrease body fat percentage and fat mass.
13. Prescription Medication - this option is just for people who are overweight or obese that have already tried diet and exercise but didn't achieve significant weight loss. Prescription medications work in different ways some are appetite suppressant that helps you feel less hungry and others that makes your body absorb less fat from the foods that you eat and some do both.
Medical professionals will prescribe diet pills only if your body mass index (BMI) is greater than 30 or if your BMI is greater than 27 and you have a condition that may be related to your weight, like type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure.
Here are weight loss drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA):a. Bupropion-naltrexone (Contrave) - makes you eat less and feel full. Side effects: constipation, diarrhea, dizziness, dry mouth, headache, increased blood pressure, increased heart rate, insomnia, liver damage, nausea, vomiting
b. Liraglutide (Saxenda) - make you feel less hungry or full. Side effects: nausea, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain, headache, raised pulse
c. Lorcaserin (Belviq) - makes you eat less and feel fuller after eating small amount of food. Side effects: constipation, cough, dizziness, dry mouth, feeling tired, headaches, nausea
d. Orlistat (Xenical) - makes your body absorb less fat. Side effects: diarrhea, gas, oily stool, stomach pain
e. Phentermine-topiramate (Qsymia) - lessens your appetite. Side effects: constipation, dizziness, dry mouth, taste changes, tingling of your hands and feet, trouble sleeping
14. Chitosan - is a linear polysaccharides found from the shells of crustaceans like shrimp, crabs, crayfish, and lobster. It is produced by treating the chitin shells of crustaceans with an alkaline substance, like sodium hydroxide. It is used to treat obesity, high cholesterol, and Crohn's disease. This fibrous substance is believed to block the absorption of fat and cholesterol. According to this study, in which fifteen research were there were 1,219 participants. Treatment of chitosan resulted in a significantly greater weight loss and decrease in total cholesterol of the participants taking it compared to those who are in placebo.
15. Chromium Picolinate - it's a mineral found in foods like whole grains, processed meats, and cheese. It is necessary for human health in small quantity which is why it is referred as an "essential trace element". It is usually taken to improve blood sugar control in people with diabetes and prediabetes. It is also use to lower cholesterol, and as a weight-loss supplement. According to this study chromium picolinate can reduce fat mass and increasing lean body mass.
16. Guar Gum - it is an food additive use to thicken and stabilize food, it is also use to make ice cream creamier. Guar Gum is extracted from guar beans. Proponents of guar gum said that it is good for weight loss since expands inside the intestine that makes you full and decrease your appetite. It is also high in soluble fiber and low in calories perfect for those who want to lose weight.
A study published by the British Journal of Nutrition shows that consuming guar gum can improve the feeling of fullness and reduce the amount of calories consumed from snacking throughout the day. Another study from Acta Medica Scandinavica shows that the effect of 15 grams per day of guar gum helped women achieve a permanent weight loss.
17. Hoodia - it is a plant that looks like a cactus found in Kalahari Desert in Africa. Locals in the area use it to suppress appetite. One species of this plant known as Hoodia gordonii has grown in popularity after being marketed as an effective appetite suppressant for weight loss because it contains the active ingredient p57. A study posted by Phytochemistry shows that Hoodia gordonii supplement reduces the food intake in rats that results to overall decrease in body weight.
18. 7-keto-dehydroepiandrosterone (7-keto-DHEA) - is a prohormone that is produced naturally by the human body from dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA). DHEA interacts actively with the sex hormones unlike the 7-keto-dehydroepiandrosterone (7-keto-DHEA) which is not converted to steroid hormones such as androgen and estrogen. 7-keto-DHEA can help in weight loss since it speeds up the body’s metabolism and converts more energy to heat instead of storing it as fat. This study shows that antiobesity properties of DHEA in rats. Another study concludes that 7-keto-DHEA produce more thermogenic effects compared to its parent compound DHEA.